We were founded in 1947.We are a group of about 65 men and women dedicated to helping the less fortunate of our community. Each year we provide help totaling about $20,000. We are one of the most active clubs in Pennsylvania, well recognized for our service to the blind and other impaired individuals. In 2006 our club became one of five Lions clubs in Pennsylvania designated as a "Model Club" in Lions Clubs International's Campaign SightFirst II $200 million worldwide goal to fight blindness.
OUR MISSION- To help the less fortunate of our community (Big Beaver, Darlington Boro, Darlington Twp., Enon Valley, New Galilee, South Beaver)
What do you need to become a Lion? Just the following:
...Have a sincere need to help people.
...Be a respected community member.
...Be sponsored by a current Lion.
...Be approved by our Board of Directors.
...Serve on at least two committees.
We are very proud of the fact that all of our profits go back into the community.
Not one penny of the money we raise goes toward the administration of our club.
HERE ARE SOME OF THE WAYS WE HELP OUR COMMUNITY
- "Adopted" NORTHWESTERN PRIMARY SCHOOL by: conducting reading mentoring sessions ("Lion Listeners"), and also serving as substitute grandparents at "Grand Day"
- Screening for childhood vision problems
- Recognizing "Classrooms of the Month"
- Provide clothing, eyeglasses and Christmas expenses for needy children.
- Helped Blackhawk Intermediate School prevent student drug abuse.
- Honor Blackhawk High School "Students of the Month", sponsored their LEO Club and give yearly scholarships.
- Highway Cleanup
- Distribute Christmas Food Baskets to the needy
- Transport the blind
- Suppored The Lighthouse for the Blind.
- Organize the Jack Wilson Memorial Fishing Derby
- Darlington Days for the community
- Haunted Barn for the community
- Worked at the PA Lions Beacon Lodge Camp for the Blind.
- Constructed wheelchair ramps
- Provided exams/eyeglasses/hearing aids for needy
- Give immediate financial aid to fire burnout victims
- Run bi-monthly Blood Drives
IN ADDITION WE ALSO DONATE TO:
- Beaver County Association for the Blind
- Disaster Relief (Japan-Haiti-Beaver County)
- Give a Christmas
- Lighthouse for the Blind
- Lions Club International Foundation
- Little Beaver Historical Society
- McGuire Home
- PA Beacon Lodge Camp for the Blind
- PA Leader Dogs for the Blind
- PA Lions Diabetes Foundation
- PA Lions Hearing Research Foundation
- PA Lions Sight Conservation Foundation
- Vietnam Veterans
- VIP Sports (for the blind)
- Western PA Hearing Foundation