One the day after the original Darlington Hotel at the corner of Market Street and 2nd Street was destroyed by fire in 1926, the local residents met to form the Darlington Volunteer Fire Department. The Fire Department was chartered on October 4th 1926 with Frank McCarter, R.P. Sanders, W.E. Graham, John Bernesser, Glenn H. Watterson, C.W. Peffer, Fred Rohrmann, Samuel Patterson, Charles T. Goll, L.J. Nicely, R.W. Watterson and Harry Taylor as Charter Members. Glenn H. Wattersonwas elected as Fire Chief and served many years in that capacity.
A 1926 Dodge American LaFrance fire engine was purchased and was delivered in time for another large barn fire located behind Dr. Watterson’s residence. Assisting to fight the fire were the East Palestine and Patterson Township Fire Department’s (the closest fire departments to Darlington at the time). The Fire department operated from the current
The Darlington Township Volunteer Fire Department gratefully acknowledges the many years of support from the Darlington Township Board of Supervisors, the Darlington Borough Council, and the residents of both municipalities. We look forward to another 80 years of cooperation and service.