19th Annual Darlington Days

Celebrating our Community!

             Darlington Township
Volunteer Fire Department

             One the day after the original Darlington Hotel at the corner of Market Street and 2nd Street was destroyed by fire in 1926, the local residents met to form the Darlington Volunteer Fire Department. The Fire Department was chartered on October 4th 1926 with Frank McCarter, R.P. Sanders, W.E. Graham, John Bernesser, Glenn H. Watterson, C.W. Peffer, Fred Rohrmann, Samuel Patterson, Charles T. Goll, L.J. Nicely, R.W. Watterson and Harry Taylor as Charter Members. Glenn H. Wattersonwas elected as Fire Chief and served many years in that capacity. 

        A 1926 Dodge American LaFrance fire engine was purchased and was delivered in time for another large barn fire located behind Dr. Watterson?s residence. Assisting to fight the fire were the East Palestine and Patterson Township Fire Department?s (the closest fire departments to Darlington at the time). The Fire department operated from the current Darlington Borough Building on Morris Street from 1926 until 1951 when the Graham Brothers Garage located on the corner of Market Street and 2nd Street was purchased by the Department for $1.00. With the agreement of the Darlington Township Supervisors, the Darlington Volunteer Fire Department was re-chartered in 1981 as the Darlington Township Volunteer Fire Department. Upon completion of the Darlington Township Municipal Complex in 2000 at 3590 Darlington Road, the Fire Department was relocated and currently shares quarters with the Township Police Department and Municipal Offices. The 2008 membership includes 44 Senior Firefighters and 3 Junior Firefighters.


            The Darlington Township Volunteer Fire Department gratefully acknowledges the many years of support from the Darlington Township Board of Supervisors, the Darlington Borough Council, and the residents of both municipalities. We look forward to another 80 years of cooperation and service.